Encouraging Word of the Day
Honest-free of deceit and untruthfulness; sincere.
Being honest in our thoughts, words and actions is a challenge indeed. We seem to be almost hard-wired to be deceptive in some manner. Be conscious of your choices and be honest in all that you think, say, and do.
The main reasons people don’t always tell the truth are:
- Fear of harm: The easiest reason to understand why we lie is for self-protection, including self-deception, to prevent harm to ourselves. This harm can be either physical or mental.
- Fear of conflict: To some degree, we all fear having an argument.
- Fear of punishment: When growing up, how often did we lie about how well we did in school, or who started a fight? How often do we cover up our mistakes and transgressions?
- Fear of rejection: Sometimes, our insecurities are the foundation of why we lie to each other because we want to remain popular in our relationships. Typically, it is harmless boasting to make ourselves appear more admirable to other people.
- Fear of loss: This is usually the loss of personal objects, such as money or expensive valuables. Greed is the foundation for this reason and can be found in each of us. We often lie to make ourselves more desirable to other people too. Most common, people lie for fear of alienating their significant other. Other times, when our self-esteem starts to decline, we even lie to ourselves as means to prevent loss of morale.
- Altruistic Reasons: We often lie to help our friends and loved ones. How often do we flattery someone just to make them feel better? Or don’t tell the whole truth because we are afraid of hurting someone’s feelings? This is the only selfless reason why we lie.